Pittsburgh Woman Claims Illness Due To Mold
woman contacted a local news station with reports of severe mold in her
apartment, with growths so bad that it was making both her and her daughter
The 28 year old
woman, who asked to remain unidentified, spoke with Channel 11 reporter Timyka
Artist. She told her that mold problems
in her Ella St. apartment have gotten so bad that both she and her 11 year old
daughter have been sick as a result. She
went on to say that she no longer allows her daughter to stay in the unit.
County Health Department has been notified of the problem, and an inspection of
the apartment revealed substantial mold growth in nearly every room, including
the bedroom and kitchen. The woman says
her landlord has done little to correct the problem.
"I'm a single mother. I pay rent on time,
I'm never late. The least she can do is find a place that's livable for me and
my daughter," she said.
about the problem, the landlord said that they had hired a local firm to apply
a chemical treatment to the mold, but that they were unable to find the source
of the problem.
The tenant says
she has had enough of nothing being done and is actively looking for another
place to live. The Allegheny County Health
Department has given the landlord until June 14 to fix the problem or face an
Mold is the
most common side effect related to water damage, typically appearing within 48
hours of a water damage event. Mold
contributes to the breakdown of your structure (as it tends to destroy whatever
surface it grows on) as well as bringing all kinds of health problems with
naturally in outdoor environments; we encounter and even inhale mold spores
almost every day, with no ill effects.
When mold occurs indoors, such as this woman’s apartment, mold spores
can be encountered in large concentrations.
Inhalation of such can prove harmful.
to mold are slight, usually resembling mild allergic reactions such as runny nose,
watery eyes, coughing, and skin irritations.
Mold can also trigger asthma attacks as well as other respiratory
problems. Although uncommon, mold has
been known to trigger more serious issues such as pneumonia, neurological
disorders, lung disease, and in rare cases, even death.
It stands to
reason that mold can be harmful. In
outdoor environments, mold acts as nature’s recycling system, breaking down
dead plant and animal tissue. Of course,
inhaling large quantities of mold spores is going to produce some less than
spend money to have their homes tested for mold. This isn’t usually necessary. Mold presents itself as a fuzzy, greenish-black
growth on walls, pipes, or even fabrics, usually accompanied by a musty or
noxious smell. If you suspect that you
have mold, then in all likelihood you do.
If you have
mold, then what do you do about it? Many
homeowners assume that if they kill the mold or remove the growth, then that is
the end of it. This is a mistake. Mold must not only be removed, but the
affected area must be properly treated to ensure that the mold does not return. This involves cleaning, disinfecting,
sanitizing, but most importantly, the reduction of moisture and humidity. Reducing humidity to less than 50% will go a
long way towards making sure that the mold doesn’t grow back.
results with your mold removal needs, contact Water Damage Local.com. We are available 24/7 and offer a complete
range of water damage restoration services, including mold remediation,
designed to remove the water, repair the damage, and return your home to its
For all your
mold remediation and water restoration needs, call the professionals at
Water Damage Local.com today.
Share This Page