Striking a Blow Against Mold And Musty Odors
will have to deal with musty and acrid odors in their home at some point, and
while the odors themselves are unpleasant enough, they may also be indicators
of something equally unpleasant, the growth of mold or mildew in your home.
is a common problem in basements and crawlspaces, and it may be the result of
outside influences such as weather or inside problems such as plumbing
issues. Either way, studies have shown
that as much as 50% of the air in a home comes from the basement or crawlspace,
contributing to poor air quality and uncomfortably high humidity levels. The end result may be warped hardwood
flooring, mold growth, as well as swelling of millwork and cabinetry.
It’s not easy
to do, but it is important to keep humidity levels in your home low to prevent
these problems from occurring. Humidity
levels above 50% usually result in mold and mildew growth, as well as bacteria
and other allergens that can affect your health.
Mold is quite
common in nature. In fact we encounter
and even inhale mold spores almost daily.
The problem is when they begin growing in indoor environments, where the
concentration of mold spores in a given area is extraordinarily high. The physical problems associated with mold
may be as mild as slight allergic reactions such as sneezing, runny nose or
watery eyes. Or they may be more serious
such as respiratory problems, neurological disorders, or lung disease.
The most common
tool for lowering humidity levels in your basement is a dehumidifier, a device
recommended by the Environmental Protection Agency, American Lung Association,
and American Medical Association.
dehumidifiers, such as the ones from Santa Fe, are the most energy efficient on
the market and are designed to effectively operate in the cooler temperatures
of a basement or crawlspace. The units help maintain the structural integrity
of your home, inhibit mold growth and improve the indoor air quality of your
home by removing odor-causing moisture.
Of course, any
mold growth of considerable size should always be removed by a qualified
professional. Too many homeowners make
the mistake of assuming that it is enough to simply kill the mold. This is not the case. The environment has to be treated to make it
unsuitable for mold to grow, effectively preventing its return. The area will have to be dried, cleaned,
disinfected and sanitized, with proper lighting and ventilation to prevent the
return of the infestation.
For proper mold
remediation, you need to call your local water damage restoration company. Mold is the number one by product of water
damage, and your IICRC certified provider will offer mold removal and treatment
as one of their many services.
efficient mold treatment, call your local IICRC certified water damage
restoration provider today for a free estimate or phone consultation.
Share This Page